A lucky few have been blessed with a metabolism that doesn’t seem to show any signs of slowing down throughout their lives. They can quite literally inhale pizza after pizza, and unwanted weight gain won’t even touch them!
For the rest of us though, weight loss is an ugly beast that seems to rear its head at the worst possible time and is hard to tame.
Unwanted weight gain is an epidemic that equally affects all age groups, especially in the first world countries.
From teenagers to middle-aged men and women, everyone seems to be dealing with a “few” extra pounds.
Workout routines, fad diets, personal trainers, exotic Amazonian herbs; there’s not a single trick in the weight loss book that people haven’t explored to trim down.
Many of these “hacks” make tall promises but seldom deliver. And quite a few of them come along with nasty side effects that most of us don’t pay attention to. And to make things even more tricky; there’s a noticeable lack of credible scientific research to prove their efficacy.
In recent times, a tropical fruit called Garcinia Cambogia has gained quite a bit of attention for its weight loss abilities. Within the fitness and weight loss circles, it is mostly recommended and taken in extract supplement form.
Within this article, we aim to review the medical and scientific research behind its efficacy and discuss whether it is as good as the claims that come along with it.
What is Garcinia Cambogia & Why It Has Taken Off?
Garcinia cambogia is a small, pumpkin-shaped fruit that grows in Southeast Asia and India. The key active ingredient found in the skin of garcinia cambogia is hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which according to this research conducted in 2003 can help people get rid of unwanted weight.
There are 3 key ways through which Garcinia Cambogia works:
- It boosts your metabolism. Slow metabolic rate is one of the biggest reasons for fat burning issues. Metabolism is our body’s ability to utilize calories. The faster our metabolism, the more efficiently our body is able to manage weight. When we’re young our metabolism is naturally fast and it slows down with age.
One of the key publicized advantages of Garcinia Cambogia is that it keeps our metabolism revved up. How does it do it?
The key active ingredient found in the skin of garcinia cambogia is hydroxycitric acid (HCA). HCA facilitates our body to expend fat stores as energy at an accelerated rate thus getting rid of unwanted fat.
- It keeps your appetite under control. Again HCA plays an integral part here. It facilitates the production of a compound called serotonin. When serotonin levels rise in our body, our cravings are reduced.
- Inhibits fat production within our body. Citrate lyase is an enzyme that that’s responsible to synthesize carbohydrates in our body to fat. HCA constrains citrate lyase’s ability to do so thus helping us keeping our weight under control.
What The Garcinia Clinical Studies Say
Garcinia cambogia reviews, research results and weight loss testimonials have been a mixed bag, to say the least. Weight loss though remains garcinia cambogia’s claim to fame. Some of the other claims include:
- a more positive mood
- increased energy and concentration
- stabilized blood sugar levels
- improved bowel movements
- reduced joint pains
- improved cholesterol levels
Most of the claims above have not been backed by scientific studies, however some have. Our focus though for this article will remain primarily on garcinia cambogia’s weight loss effectiveness.
Some clinical trials have found that garcinia extract might, in fact, be able to aid with weight loss but research results have been quite inconclusive.
Research suggests that HCA works by blocking a certain enzyme called adenosine triphosphate-citrate-lyase, which contributes to fat accumulation.
But studies comparing its effects to control subjects found that GC’s weight loss effects maybe a lot less acute than previously thought.
For instance, a 2011 research published in the Journal of Obesity, compared people who took garcinia cambogia extract to those who didn’t. The weight loss was almost negligible, less than 1 kilogram on average. Moreover, the study failed to establish a direct correlation between weight loss and the use of GC.
Studies have also suggested that it’s possible that hydroxycitric acid (HCA) found in garcinia cambogia can help lower appetite by facilitating production of the neurotransmitter called serotonin, which is connected to appetite suppression.
Animal studies show it might also help increase energy expenditure thus helping us with weight loss as shown by this study conducted in 1988.
There have been several GC studies conducted on human subjects that have shown some positive weight loss results. For instance, this 2009 study shows that garcinia indeed aids in appetite suppression thus facilitating weight loss.
Here’s another study conducted in 2005 that shows that GC does help in the production of serotonin. The study was conducted over a period of 8 weeks. The subjects were given a diet of 2000 calories per day and made to walk 30 minutes per day.
The subjects that were given Garcinia supplementation showed an increase of 44% in serotonin levels and signs of appetite suppression.
A 2007 study conducted in Thailand has also shown some promising signs. The trial lasted for 8 weeks and all the subjects were obese women with an average age of 40 years. They were all given a similar diet of 1000 calories per day.
The group that was given GC supplementation lost double the weight and at an accelerated rate than the group without GC supplementation did. The research concluded that HCA within GC is an effective weight loss tool for the short term.
Our Verdict – Is Garcinia Extract Effective For Weight Loss?
As with any supplement that’s new on the market, there’s always a bit of teething period and the picture clears as more scientific researches come in.
Although there have been inconsistent research results for GC supplements mostly user reviews that we have seen for the major brands are positive leading us to believe that garcinia cambogia supplementation is a decent weight loss supplement, at least for the short term.
Some Key Tips
- As with any supplementation routine, it is always a wise choice to first consult your doctor, especially if you’re pregnant or are on medication for certain ailments such as heart disease, diabetes etc.
- Make sure never to exceed the recommended dosage and always stay properly hydrated even if the weather is not particularly hot as weight loss supplements usually cause fluid loss.
Our Recommendations & Where To Buy
- Always make sure to choose a reputable brand.
- The key ingredient of GC supplement is hydroxycitric acid (HCA) so make sure to choose a brand that offers at least 60% HCA within its formulation
- Avoid anything that comes along with synthetic ingredients. Always choose a supplement that’s not a hotchpotch of unknown ingratiates and 100% natural.
Brands To Consider
Following are a couple of garcinia supplement brands that are well known and carry positive customer reviews.
- Garcinia Cambogia 60% HCA 1000mg by Evolution Slimming is rich in HCA with about 60% HCA concentration in its formula. Plus it has no harmful chemicals and carries many positive reviews from happy customers.
For buying information visit the following link http://www.bestgarciniaextracts.co.uk/pills/60-hca-1000mg/
- Garcinia Cambogia Plus carries a 100% natural formulation and is certified vegan. You can read more about it in our review here http://www.bestgarciniaextracts.co.uk/pills/plus/
The good news; you can avail a 10% discount if you order 2 packs. Plus there is an option to have it delivered in discreet packaging without any branding and if you happen to live in the UK, they offer free delivery over £50.